Let Us Calculate Your Environmental Benefits
How do EPEAT-registered electronics stack up against conventional products?
Wondering what kind of difference your electronics purchases can make? We would love to help you figure it out!
EPEAT®-registered products meet strict environmental criteria that take into account the full product lifecycle, from energy conservation and toxic materials to product longevity and end-of-life management. Purchasing EPEAT-registered products is a simple and effective way to greatly reduce your environmental impact.
Take a look at this example:
100% of the computers and displays purchased last year by a nationwide healthcare organization purchased were registered EPEAT Gold. This organization purchased 24,300 notebooks,
- 24,328 EPEAT Gold Notebooks
- 70,052 EPEAT Gold Displays
- 67,273 EPEAT Gold Desktop Computers
Measureable Benefits for the Environment
Over their lifetime, compared to products that do not meet EPEAT criteria, these 162,653 computers and displays will:
- Reduce use of primary materials by 17,77 million kg, equivalent to the weight of 490 tractor-trailer 18-wheeler trucks
- Reduce use of toxic materials by 1.13 kg, including enough mercury to fill 1,574 mercury fever thermometers
- Avoid the disposal of 12,471 kg of hazardous waste, equivalent to the weight of 979 refrigerators
- Eliminate the equivalent of more than 301 U.S. households’ annual solid waste—503,703 kg
EPEAT’s requirement that registered products meet the latest ENERGY STAR specifications means these products will consume less energy throughout their useful life, resulting in:
- Savings of over 38.9 million kWh of electricity—enough to power 3,048 U.S. homes for a year
- Avoidance of more than 64 metric tons of water pollutant emissions
- Reduction of nearly 6.5 million kg of greenhouse gas emissions— equivalent to taking than 4,646 average U.S. passenger cars off the road for a year
These lifecycle benefits and others are calculated using the Electronics Environmental Benefits Calculator, developed under a grant from the U.S. EPA. The Calculator is available near the bottom of this EPA webpage.
Find out how your environmental benefits will stack up when you start purchasing EPEAT-registered electronics, but filling out the form below.